The Medical Library at Baptist Health is affiliated with the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Regional Programs, formerly the Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) Program, which has eight Regional Centers throughout the state. As the UAMS West Regional Center Library, we are one of seven supporting program libraries. The Medical Library supports the UAMS Family Practice Residency program, the healthcare professionals of Baptist Health, and all healthcare professionals in our 13 county service area. Additionally, we are open to and serve members of the public by directing them to appropriate consumer health information.
Location, Hours, and Contact Information:
The Medical Library is located on the first floor of the west wing of Baptist Health-Fort Smith and is open 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. A key is available from Security for medical staff needing after-hours access.
Elizabeth Burden, Director of Library Services
UAMS West/Baptist Health System
1001 Towson Avenue
P.O. Box 2406
Fort Smith, AR 72902
Telephone: (479) 441-5337
Fax: (479) 441-5339
- Internet Access – Internet access for medical education and patient care support is available in the library. While many online resources are freely available to users, some are only available to students and staff (UAMS affiliates) due to licensing restrictions.
- Literature Searches – The medical librarian will conduct a comprehensive literature search across a range of databases and deliver results organized for your specific needs.
- Interlibrary Loans – We work with other libraries regionally and nationally to obtain articles, books, and other materials not currently available in the library. Rush service is available for articles needed by healthcare professionals for immediate patient care.
- Article Photocopies – In compliance with U.S. copyright law, we will provide photocopies of articles from journals in our collection. Copies may be picked up at the library or delivered to you. Fax service is available for urgent requests.
- Instruction and Library Orientation – Instruction in the use of library resources is available upon request. Library orientations for classes or groups may be scheduled by contacting the library.
- Consumer Health Information – We support universal access to information and serve as a gateway to up-to-date biomedical information for the people of Arkansas.
The information provided by the Medical Library at Baptist Health System is for informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for the professional judgment of a healthcare professional in diagnosing and treating patients. We do not give medical advice, nor do we provide medical or diagnostic services. Your reliance upon this information is solely at your own discretion.